April is Autism Awareness Month, and I intend to participate with a new 30-day Challenge: Cleo’s Autism Awareness, a WordPress.org blogI have another WordPress.org blog dedicated to my garden too, and a vacation couples blog I’ll be updating after Chase and I return from Hawai’i., where I’ll be writing daily blog posts answering the question, “What’s it like to have autism?”
It’ll be a lot of writing, but I have to go through a lot of writing anyway as part of climbing my way through Burnett’s & Evans’ book, Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life,…and given my Daily Word Challenges, I welcome writing projects.
Listing 💚 7 Autistic Traits that Enhance Life
- special interests
- sensory sensitivity
- emotional sensitivity
- self-stimulating behavior
- relationship with music
- relationship with animals
- hyperawareness of social-emotional filters
Listing 💔 7 Aspects of Autism that Complicate Life
- issues code switching between different social-emotional filters
- social anxiety
- anxiety attacks
- obsessive-compulsive disorder
- sensory sensitivity
- my stomach
Prewriting 💔 3 Easy-to-Oops Micro-aggressions
- “Oh, but isn’t everyone wired a little neurodifferently?” This dismisses the unique challenges faced by autistic people, as well as people who suffer from other developmental disorders, brain injuries,…it’s like a white person saying, “Oh, yeah, people have hated on me because of my skin color, too.” One experience is pervasive, the other circumstantial.
- “Yeah, but you’re high function.” So are a lot of people on the spectrum who society labels as low function, except they aren’t properly supported with an autistic-designed environment. This also dismisses the unique challenges that sometimes render me low function.
- “Toughen up.” When an autistic person’s sharing experiences about pain—regardless of it’s physical or social-emotional pain—they are sharing experiences from the perspective of a brain with a sensitive nervous system. The synapses that determine the result of the particles firing off in your brain?—I experience those 🎶AMPED UP🎵, like my brain is loooud, like if your radio could only play at max volume, and you couldn’t crank down your windows, but if you did, oh 🦆ing well, because there’s a thunderstorm outside, ready to chuck hail in your face. And since I’m experiencing something fundamentally different from your perception of reality, it’s not really logical for you to suggest, “Toughen up.” Seriously, I am terrified of giving birth.
Prewriting 💚 3 Secret Doors into the Autistic Heart
- special interests, especially collection-based ones;
- shared rituals;
- an appreciation for their interpretation of the world—because as lonely as you feel, we often feel stranded on the wrong planet.
Watching Right Now 💙 2018 Secret to Immortality
Remove the first ‘t’ from immortality and you get…
Assume the ancients knew something very basic about the world that we don’t know… The ancient Egyptians had their “mfkat,” a white bread, which was offered as gold to the gods…
He wants you to burn gold. Bhasma (ash), a fine white ash, the fiery process of tapas, spiritual evolution… Goodness. Well. That peculiarity aside, I kinda sorta wanna write ’bout Ancient Egypt.
Do you enjoy Kourtnie.net?
Consider supporting me on Patreon.
🌸 @ $1 – $35 a month, 🌸
you not only help me add more
daily hours to writing and editing posts,
but you can receive handmade products,
such as poetry, postcards, and books.
🎁 Pledge rewards are limited. 🎁