I 💕🐲💕 Fantasy Genre
May 5, 2018
The other day, before bed, I tallied it up—and I wrote 7.5K words in a single day. In graduate school, I’d often pump out just as many words in a day, but that’s because I had this mindset, “This writing isn’t my best writing,” this mindset that I was just building blocks, exercises that lifted the writing I’d make later in life, that’d make me publishable.
I liked all the exercising I did in graduate school. But it sucked that the head of the MFA program frowned on genre fiction. I’m trying to work on both perceptions of reality, so I can transcend from building block literary fiction to publishable genre fiction.
Writing Philosophy 🛸 A New Mindset
I never grew out of the building-block mentality, I don’t think. Part of this blog isn’t just to track how I’m doing with my self-improvement prototypes, my life design; it’s also forcing myself to write things that other people read. Publishing. Even if it’s as simple as clicking the [Publish…] button myself.
I’ve been submitting more work through DuoTrope as a result. I think the blogging is helping me get in the new mindset; leaving behind building blocks, and challenging fear.
Listing 😋 All the Writing Things
Since I’m ramping up my words per day, I thought it’d be fun to list as many different different writing projects I could invest in as possible in a single day. We’ll see which ones stick the next time I redesign my flow, when I’m working on my May schedule.
- submit 3-5 poems via DuoTrope or PW.org; once I’ve submitted the same 3-5 poem cluster 3 times, transcribe poems into a new word document to repeat the submission process; keep doing this until a collection’s worth of poetry is published, then submit poems to contests for a larger publication
- submit an essay or short story via DuoTrope or PW.org
- publish a blog post on Kourtnie.net
- publish a blog post on KourtnieMcKenzie.wordpress.com
- publish a blog post on Kourtnie.wordpress.com
- publish a blog post on CleoAutismAwareness.com
- publish a blog post on KourtnieMcKenzie.tumblr.com
- publish a blog post on LiveJournal.com
- draft a post and share art on DeviantArt.com
- draft a post and share photography on Instagram
- draft a listing and sell art on Etsy.com
- draft a chapter for my current novella
- draft a short story
- draft a poem
- design vocabulary curriculum
- design rhetoric curriculum
- design how-to-write curriculum
- contribute to a conversation on Facebook
- contribute to a conversation on Twitter
- edit stuff (editing counts 3:1 towards word count)
I’m sure there’s more, but that’s more than enough to get me jazzed. I hope it gets you jazzed to write your own stories and ideas, too. 😘
Listening to Now 🌀 Fantasy Music
I love the fantasy genre. It’s probably my favorite, although science fiction and paranormal are neck-and-neck for second and third place. Some of the fantasy genres I want to explore more in my writing:
- high fantasy
- urban fantasy
- post-apocalyptic fantasy
- steampunk fantasy, like Final Fantasy VI
- cyberpunk science fiction too, like Final Fantasy VII
- fanfiction for other people’s fantasy worlds, like Azeroth
- magical realism, similar to Aimee Bender’s work
Listing 💗 Fantasy Genre Ideas
- 10 favorite fantasy books
- 10 favorite fantasy writing music selections
- 10 favorite fantasy video games
- 10 favorite fantasy artists
- 10 favorite fantasy tropes
- 10 favorite mother figures in fantasy literature
- 10 unique magic systems from fantasy literature
- 10 interesting old Wiccan practices, and how these could be repurposed in a fantasy world to illustrate a culture, rather than a taboo thing
- 10 interesting old Christian practices, and how these could be repurposed in a fantasy world to argue for international acceptance of all religions
- 10 interesting old Buddhist practices, and how these could be retold in a fantasy world…animal tales, maybe?
Do you enjoy Kourtnie.net?
Consider supporting me on Patreon.
🌸 @ $1 – $35 a month, 🌸
you not only help me add more
daily hours to writing and editing posts,
but you can receive handmade products,
such as poetry, postcards, and books.
🎁 Pledge rewards are limited. 🎁